Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I've been around!

"No #*&% there I was..." seems to be a standard preamble to all of my conversations with the young Soldiers of the 211th MPAD. Me being the "Oldest living 1LT" in the Army today, I have succumbed to the fact that if it happened anytime before today, I was probably there.

For example; I served wine at the last supper, I participated in the Civil War alongside General Lee and some say I even helped sign the Declaration of Independence. I don't want to shatter anyone's illusions of grandeur about me, so I keep quiet.

In reality, I only got to stomp on the grapes, work in the blacksmith shop where he kept his horse and was the hired help in the printing office. Needless to say, it gets interesting around here while we train.

But at the end of the day, all is fair. They keep me laughing and I keep reminding myself that the great thing about having grown kids is that they get to go to "their" home (or hotel room in our case) at the end of the day. I'm then left alone in my room to enjoy a good read, the Readers Digest-Large print, and take my Geritol and Silver Vitamins without ridicule.

2 comments:

Almo said...

Hey, you remind me a bit of John Cougar Mellencamp. Play a little diddy?

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 12/10/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.